Some of the most beautiful type of outdoor furniture is that which is made from solid old wood. Teak, cedar and redwood patio furniture or deck furniture can be a pleasure to own. However there are many other options for outdoor furniture, such as metal, wrought iron, and so on. In this article, we look at some of the pros and cons of either choice.
Advantages of Redwood Patio Furniture
Here are some of the major benefits of redwood patio furniture:
1. Elegant: The furniture made from this type of wood is beautiful, elegant and timeless. It can be a real joy to posses and to use it for a long time. And you never need fear that it will look dated or go out of style. Good quality is always in vogue.
2. Durable: Redwood is a very durable type of wood and is known to have excellent resistance against the elements. Like cedar, redwood has natural chemicals that are able to resist the wear and tear of daily use as well as the weather.
Even as the furniture ages, it will acquire an attractive faded hue that simply adds to its appeal rather than detracting from it.
3. Light: Also this furniture can be lighter than metal furniture and may be easier to move and stow away when not in use.
Disadvantages of Redwood Patio Furniture
Main disadvantages of redwood patio furniture include:
1. Endangered: Redwoods are some of the most ancient trees and most species are highly endangered. The wood may be very prized but looking at the conservation aspect, this wood is best left on the tree.
2. Maintenance: Redwood furniture is tough and durable even for the outdoors, but it does need some amount of maintenance. Flaking, cracks, etc. may appear if the wood is not taken care of. Stain removing, treating, cleaning and varnishing may all be required periodically to keep the furniture looking good and long lasting.
By contrast, wrought iron or metal furniture may not even need that amount of maintenance, and once bought, may be completely maintenance free. Modern types of wrought iron or steel furniture are resistant to rusting because of the way they are treated and are able to withstand the elements beautifully and effortlessly.